The first step was to make eyeballs, and while I was at it, I made several sets in different sizes. They'll be handy for other stuff in the future; I mean, you know how often a person says to herself, "If only I had some miniature eyeballs handy right now!" The eyeball making went fairly well, and as you can see, the results were completely acceptable. The green eyes on the lower right were for my current doll project.
After lunch I started working on the head. First you make a foil core, then cover it with clay, then add various clay "appliques" to it and manipulate it to the right shape. The eyeballs go in...more refinements...etc. You put the head on a metal rod or thick wire, add the neck and ears, and there you go!
Supposedly. Except, Blog, you have to factor in my complete lack of talent. And also that the detailed directions are not always entirely accurate (understandable with a process that cannot be exactly precise). By the time Katie (who undoubtedly would have the talent to do this if she were so inclined) stopped by, I had a rather scary head. We agreed, generously, that it needed work.
After more hours during which I several times obliterated the nose, I had something not quite so horrific. However, it looked like a male. More precisely, some sort of "missing link" type male. You'll notice I did not take photos of this stage, Blog.
It was time to go out to dinner then, and later in the evening I had "fresh eyes" (not clay eyes) so pulled out the head again to re-examine. I was able to recognize some competely wrong aspects and fix them. I did totally new lips. And of course obliterated the nose and half the ears a few times. It was almost midnight when I was more or less satisfied (or defeated, depending upon your interpretation).
Eight hours into the project, I still didn't want to take pictures. Bad sign.
Sunday morning I started work on the torso. Again, you start with a foil core. I took a picture of this core but just picture an unmentionable body part made of aluminum. Etc., etc., until you have a fun torso-like shape. I must admit I rather enjoyed putting a tush and breasts on this shape. The human body has such nice curves and stuff. More problems but not so many this time.
So it took me about 14 hours to get what you see here. And she still needs arms and legs...it's frightening. I really don't know what I would have done without the set of 3D renderings my artist pal CC prepared for me according to the planned pose--those were invaluable! And will be even more so in the arm and leg stage.
I am a sculptor much in the same way I am a sketcher: I manage by doing things over and over until they are approximately right. Approximately. It takes me an eternity to achieve what real artists do, only of course not as good. In view of this fact, Blog, doing something like a human figure is a real pain in the polyclay arse.
As for the body, which isn't great but decent, it will have the advantage of clothing. Although honestly, she has it all over me, body-wise.
At least for now, until the arms and legs go on. We may end up with something that looks very much like half of Dr. Octopus.